Race & Racism at the University of Richmond

Browse Items (83 total)

This article, written in 1943, details the festivities of Westhampton College's May Day, which is run by the sophomore women. The college gym will be decorated as an old Southern Plantation. In order to add to the atmosphere of the theme, "twelve…

This 1934 Collegian article discusses the potential for a team name change from 'Spiders' to 'Rebels.' The article attempts to persuade readers that a new name is needed due to the fact that the name is "insignificant" and does not "represent any…

This Collegian article, written in 1929, focuses on a collection of letters, notes, and autographs given to the university library from Dr. J. L. M. Curry and Miss Ella M. Thomas. Dr. Curry was a member of the United States Congress and the…

In this short 1928 Collegian article, Mrs. Sally Harris, widow of A.M. Harris who was a member of the Class of 1876, has given to the library a copy of a picture taken of the Valentine statue of General Robert E. Lee. The photo depicts the group of…

This 1949 yearbook features the Confederate Spider mascot, at the start of each section. In this particular photo there is a replica of the confederate spider pointing to the deanery, for the "Administration" section of the yearbook.

An advertisement in theCollegian for the Spider Club, a "booster organization of all sports at the University of Richmond," features the Confederate spider mascot at the four corners of the advertisement. The mascot, created by college shop…

This article reports that the University Student Government Association (USGA) was hoping that the majority of University of Richmond students and employees would approve a new version of the spider mascot, who at the time had been wearing a…

This photograph, which accompanied information about various University of Richmond sporting events for the week, is captioned: "Spider Man is latest attraction at UR's home games, courtesy of the art students. Richmond's next home game is a week…

The cover of the 1949 yearbook,The Web, features the Confederate Spider mascot, developed by Student Shop manager Buddy Mayo in 1948. The Confederate Spider wears a Confederate military uniform and hat, and carries a sword.

During the fall semester of 1948, Buddy Mayo, the manager of the Student Shop, announced that the University of Richmond Spider, the "official University emblem," was receiving a new look to coincide with the "new football outlook and as an added…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2