Race & Racism at the University of Richmond

Browse Items (83 total)

An advertisement in theCollegian for the Spider Club, a "booster organization of all sports at the University of Richmond," features the Confederate spider mascot at the four corners of the advertisement. The mascot, created by college shop…

The Fall 1963 edition of the Alumni Bulletin includes an advertisement for the Thanksgiving Festival football match, held at Richmond City Stadium. The advertisement highlights special family prices to encourage alumni families to attend the match…

This 1934 Collegian article discusses the potential for a team name change from 'Spiders' to 'Rebels.' The article attempts to persuade readers that a new name is needed due to the fact that the name is "insignificant" and does not "represent any…

This Collegian article discusses the recent Richmond College demonstration against the Senate's Dixie Resolution which petitioned to restrict the playing of the song Dixie by the university band. According to two freshmen, Ralph Munroe and Thomas…

This article, written in 1943, details the festivities of Westhampton College's May Day, which is run by the sophomore women. The college gym will be decorated as an old Southern Plantation. In order to add to the atmosphere of the theme, "twelve…

A student-authored article, titled "All Around The Lake", was featured in the 1949 Alumni Bulletin, offering a depiction of current social events at the University of Richmond. The article highlights events, such as the University mascot receiving a…

This article described Freeman Hall and the person behind its name, Douglas Southall Freeman. Freeman Hall was built in 1965. The article described Freeman's work as a writer, academic, and educator as well as his connection to the University of…

This article highlights an incident in which the Richmond College Junior Class Cabinet was made to stop selling t-shirts featuring the Confederate spider mascot. Director of Administrative Services Louie Love said that the spider dressed in…

This article summarizes the history of "Old Columbia" (then called the Columbia building), which was the first building established as a part of the University of Richmond. The building was made for the Virginia Baptist Seminary as a space to move…

Article describing the teaching of Dr. Samuel Chiles Mitchell, a professor of history at the University of Richmond, known for teaching Douglas Southall Freeman. The article described many different interactions that Mitchell had with his students.…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2