- About the Project
- Resistance & Compliance
- The Title IX Controversy at UR
- "Dark Side of College Life"
- Chinese Student Experience
- Student Life and White Supremacy
- George Modlin's Segregated University of Richmond
- Students of Color at UR (1946-1971)
- Performance & Policy
- Silence in the Archives
- Black Student Experience at UR (1970-1992)
- Faculty Response to Institutional and National Change (1968-1973)
- Digital Stories
- Projects That Inspire Us
- Browse Items
- Subjects List
The Spider 1919
Group photo of the "Alien Club" (1 of 2 including roster on following page)
This image is a group photo of the "Alien Club," and follows with a roster on the following page. The image features John Johnson who is the African American man at the center of the photo. Johnson was a member of the custodial staff and he is noted as the "honorary member" of the club. The roster page notes that John Johnson hails from Africa, and also shows that there are members from China and Italy. The description of the club on the roster page includes the club's colors, flower, and motto; the colors are listed as "African Black and Chinese Yellow." This photograph represents the members of the club which represents racial "othering" by grouping together white students surrounding a black man of different race and status.
Virginia Baptist Historical Society, Richmond, VA
W.B. Loving, “Alien Club ,” Race & Racism at the University of Richmond, accessed May 23, 2018, https://memory.richmond.edu/items/show/39.